Close Menu


A sign language interpreter is a professional who assists with communication between individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing and use sign language and individuals who do not use sign language. In the United States, most sign language interpreters use American Sign Language (ASL).  However, other types of interpreters such as Certified Deaf Interpreters (CDI), tactile interpreters, or Cued Speech interpreters may be needed in addition to or instead of ASL interpreters depending on the communication needs of the individuals involved.

It is typically the employer’s responsibility to hire and pay for interpreter services for work-related communication. To locate an interpreter, contact the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) at (703)838-0030 V, (703)838-0459 TTY  or use the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf's Find Interpreter Agency/Referral Service.