In 1970, Frank Roberts, an industrial designer, injured his back playing tennis. He was rushed to hospital and remained in traction for a month. This was not the first time he had suffered back pain but it was certainly the worst and he was advised to have an operation in order to avoid recurrence. Before acting on this advice he decided to research the results of back operations through a number of sources, including the files of the Workers’ Compensation Board, and discovered that many patients had been operated on more than once, without necessarily having their back pain relieved.
During his time in traction, a body cast was made. To his delight he found that the combination of immobilizing and resting the spine did relieve the pain. However, when the cast was removed, discomfort returned. He could not sit up restfully for any length of time. Work was a nightmare. He needed a device that would allow him to sit up comfortably and to that end tried a multitude of conventional products, none of which eased his pain. Out of frustration, he sawed in half the original body cast which had given such relief. He covered it with foam and a pillowcase and used it to support his back when sitting in his car or office chair. Slowly the pain subsided.
Eventually the plaster began to crumble and the cast weighed over 50 lbs. Carrying this weight back and forth was not helping his back, and at this point he decided to design a light-weight, supportive backrest to hold the back muscles and spine at rest. Working closely with a rheumatologist, the research department of a chiropractic college and orthopedic surgeons, he designed a portable, brace-like backrest out of fiberglass. It could support the spine in any chair, car seat, or bed.
In 1980, production began on his final design. The present design only weighs 907 grams (32 ounces). It is an ergonomically accurate representation of the curves of the spine, reproduced in firm yet resilient polycarbonates and reinforced plastics, and covered in foam and a comfortable and hypo-allergenic fabric. He named it and his company ObusForme.
Orthopedic, Brace, Upright, Support, For Me
The uniquely designed ObusForme Seat evenly distributes body weight and encourages proper alignment of the pelvis and thighs for extended sitting comfort. Use it with any ObusForme Backrest Support to create a complete and comfortable ergonomic sitting experience.
Our award-winning backrest support transforms ordinary chairs into ergonomically correct seating. Unlike ordinary “L”-shaped chairs, the “S” shape of the ObusForme Backrest Support molds your spine into a more anatomically correct position and helps to enhance overall posture by supporting proper spinal alignment.
- ADJUSTABLE SUPPORT:Built-in adjustable lumbar cushion can be inflated or deflated to suit personal preference, and can facilitate regular changes in posture to help alleviate stress
- SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN BACK SUPPORT:Scientifically proven to decrease pressure on your back by up to 35%
- FULL RANGE BACK SUPPORT:Lumbar cushion also adjusts vertically for a full range of support from the thoracic to the lumbar regions
- LONG TERM COMFORT:Hand pump inflates or deflates the lumbar pad to refresh lower back when sitting for long periods.
- ENGINEERED FOR COMFORT:The impact resistant polycarbonate structure covered in soft and durable polyurethane foam conforms to the natural spinal curvature
- USE ANYWHERE:Lightweight and portable for easy to add back support to any chair in the home, office, or in the car
Unlike ordinary “L”-shaped chairs, the “S”-shape of the Obus Forme Backrest Supports mold your spine into a more anatomically correct position, and help to enhance overall posture by supporting proper spinal alignment.
- SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN BACK SUPPORT:Scientifically proven to decrease pressure on the spine by up to 35%
- RELIEVE PAIN WITH SUPPORT: Provides relief from back pain by aligning the spine and supporting correct posture
- REMOVABLE & ADJUSTABLE LUMBAR SUPPORT:The removable lumbar pad provides additional comfort for the lower back by supporting the lumbar curve.
- ENGINEERED FOR COMFORT: The impact resistant polycarbonate structure covered in soft and durable polyurethane foam conforms to the natural spinal curvature
- USE ANYWHERE: Convenient handle for portability anywhere you sit – in the office chair or car or in the home.