Hearing, Speech & Deaf Center
Hearing, Speech & Deaf Center (HSDC) is a nonprofit for clients who are deaf, hard of hearing, or who face other communication barriers such as speech challenges. Our mission is to foster inclusive and accessible communities through communication, advocacy, and education.
HSDC Interpreting Services
HSDC Interpreting Services is a centralized resource providing quality communication access for Deaf, DeafBlind, hard of hearing, and hearing individuals in Seattle, the Puget Sound, and Washington State. Our staff can match your preferences with interpreter specializations (medical, legal, educational, etc.), certification levels, and experience to provide the perfect fit for any situation.
HDSC provides in-person and remote interpreting in a wide variety of settings for Deaf, DeafBlind, and hard of hearing individuals or groups. The interpreters we work with are qualified at the highest national level, enabling them to communicate with deaf and hard of hearing people with a broad range of communication styles. All of the interpreters we contract with hold certification from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID), a national certifying body, unless a client requests otherwise.
The following types of interpreting are available:
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Signed English (PSE) transliteration
- Signed Exact English (SEE)
- Tactile ASL, tactile, and close visual interpretation for individuals who are DeafBlind
- Oral translation for deaf or hard of hearing individuals who rely on speechreading
- Lip-Reading Translation (LRT) for individuals who are unable to express themselves vocally due to tracheotomy or other physical disability