An Introduction to Assistive Technology (AT)
Information about ATRead MoreAn Introduction to Assistive Technology (AT)
- If you are not sure whether AT will be an effective accommodation, where can you get information?
- You can always contact JAN for ideas! In addition, JAN offers Solution Showcase Videos that demonstrate how various AT works and how it can be used as a workplace accommodation. You can also contact your State AT Project to borrow and try out AT before purchasing.
A common misconception about accommodations is that products and equipment that have been developed to assist individuals with disabilities with various activities, including those that are work related, are expensive, high-end electronics and technology. But the truth is, there are low-cost/low-tech options or simple modifications that work just as well. JAN offers some examples in the resource Don’t Break the Bank — Low-Cost Accommodations Do Exist!
- View the August 2022 JAN Webcast, AT Update: What's New in 2022?
- Are you wondering what's new in the world of AT and job accommodations? View JAN's Accommodation and Compliance Series Webcast, "AT Update: What's New in 2022?"
- AT Events
- Interested in learning more about AT? JAN participates in two national annual events that focus on AT: ATIA Conference and the California State University, Northridge (CSUN) Assistive Technology Conference.
- October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)
In recognition of the important role people with disabilities play in a diverse and inclusive American workforce, the theme for National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) 2022 is "Disability: Part of the Equity Equation." Observed annually in October, NDEAM celebrates the contributions of America's workers with disabilities and showcases supportive, inclusive employment policies and practices.
"A strong workforce is the sum of many parts, and disability has always been a key part of the equation. People with disabilities make up a wonderfully multifaceted group. By recognizing the full complexion of our community, we can ensure our efforts to achieve disability inclusion are, in fact, truly inclusive." Taryn M. Williams, U.S. Department of Labor, Assistant Secretary for Disability Employment Policy
The official 2022 NDEAM poster and related resources are available to assist organizations in planning and implementing NDEAM activities. Visit the U.S Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) NDEAM page for more information.
- Next JAN Webcast: "Building a Disability-Inclusive Organization" October 13, 2022, 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET
- Attend the next JAN Accommodation and Compliance Series Webcast, "Building a Disability-Inclusive Organization," featuring guest presenter, Ellice Switzer, from the Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion (EARN). Learn how your organization can create a disability-inclusive workplace culture and meet diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) goals. Register today!
Building a Disability-Inclusive Organization
Help your organization create a disability-inclusive workplace culture and meet diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) goals. Join this collaborative training brought to you by JAN and the Employer Assistance...
Providing Reasonable Accommodations to Veterans with Disabilities
Join us for a timely and informative training about veterans with cognitive and mental health impairments and common accommodations that may be needed for success at work. Consultants James Potts...