Processing telework accommodation requestsRead MoreA Practical Approach to Telework as a Reasonable Accommodation During the Pandemic
- When an employee requests to telework full time as an accommodation, how do we determine whether the job can be performed from home full time?
- The temporary telework experience during the pandemic can serve as evidence of whether the employee can satisfactorily perform the job while teleworking, but the determination should be made on a case-by-case basis at the time an employee requests the accommodation. For additional guidance, see questions 4 and 5 in the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) resource: Work at Home/Telework as a Reasonable Accommodation.
Once an employer receives a request from an employee to telework because of a medical condition, determine whether it’s an accommodation request related to a disability. JAN offers a flowchart that may help: Telework Accommodation Request Flowchart.
- Accommodation and Compliance: Telework - JAN
- Role Play Training Video: Telework as an Accommodation - JAN
- Telework and Accessibility - Partnership on Employment and Accessible Technology (PEAT)
- Adopting an Integrated Telework Policy for Employees With and Without Disabilities - Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion (EARN)
- Guide to Telework in the Federal Government - Telework.gov
- New Campaign for Disability Employment PSA Released! – “Mental Health at Work: What Can I Do?”
- May is Mental Health awareness month. Whether it’s setting a leadership tone for a supportive culture, being a source of support to colleagues, or being open and honest about what you need to perform your best, we ALL benefit from a mental health-friendly workplace. Learn more by checking out the Campaign for Disability Employment’s new “Mental Health at Work: What Can I Do?” PSA. Learn more by visiting WhatCanYouDoCampaign.org.
- Register for the JAN Accommodation and Compliance Webcast Series
- The JAN Accommodation and Compliance Webcast Series is a monthly training series provided by JAN experts, and guest presenters, on a broad range of disability employment, ADA, and job accommodation topics. All webcasts are free of charge to attend. Register today!
Accommodation and ADA Considerations: Reproductive Disorders and Pregnancy
Likely a lesser-known fact, reproductive disorders affect millions of Americans each year. Maybe this is partly true because we don’t talk about, or take seriously enough, the impact of these...
Personal Use or Reasonable Accommodation: What’s What?
Many employers understand it’s not their responsibility to furnish personal use items, those items needed both on and off the job, as a form of reasonable accommodation. But are there...
Attend this ADA Update training to learn from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) about the latest developments in the application of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in the...