Self-marketing is a proven strategy for job growth. When marketing yourself on the job remember these tips:
Use positive statements, beginning each one with "I."
- "I have five years of experience in vocational rehabilitation."
Timing is critical.
- Make sure that you have people's undivided attention.
Maintain good posture and eye contact.
- You want to convey a positive and believable message.
Present only one goal at a time.
- People tend to get confused when you overload them with a lot of ideas.
Keep goals consistent.
- Keep your message constant and try to negotiate a mutually beneficial solution.
- Building relationships takes time and genuine interest in the other party; therefore you must follow up regularly.