Dos and Don'ts of Interviewing
- Take identification (driver's license, Social Security card, or passport) and extra resumes.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early.
- Shake hands firmly.
- Try to relax.
- Be polite and friendly.
- Show enthusiasm for the opportunity to work.
- Speak clearly and distinctly.
- Allow the employer to complete what he or she is saying with out interruption.
- Listen carefully.
- Maintain eye contact.
- Tell the interviewer that you are willing to work hard.
- Use the interviewer's name in the conversation.
- At the end of the interview, ask when you might hear about a decision.
- Thank the interviewer for his/her time.
- Send a thank you letter expressing your interest in the job and the company.
- Chew gum or use tobacco before or during the interview.
- Be late.
- Be rude or present a negative attitude.
- Stare off into space.
- Forget the name of the interviewer.
- Go to the interview without doing research about the company.