Accommodation Ideas for Bladder Impairments
Accommodation ideas for individuals with bladder conditions, including interstitial cystitis:
- Frequent and/or urgent need to use the restroom: Possible solutions for individuals who need to use the restroom frequently include implementing frequent restroom breaks, moving the workstation closer to the restroom, and working at home.
- Need for medical treatment during work hours: Flexible use of leave time, modification of attendance policy and schedule may be helpful to individuals who need to receive medical treatment during the workday.
- Lifting: Accommodations for lifting limitations vary, depending on the situation. Accommodations may include assistance with lifting, lifting devices, or a transfer to another job that does not require lifting. For additional information on accommodations for lifting, visit SOAR's Accommodations for Back Conditions.
- Fatigue: Possible solutions include a reduced work schedule, periodic rest breaks, a transfer to a less physically demanding job, and the flexible use of leave time.
- Commuting to and from work: Possible solutions include allowing more time for the commute (to allow time for restroom breaks), allowing work at home, and a transfer to office closer to home.
- For more information on interstitial cystitis, visit: http://www.ichelp.org