Step 2: Select the Limitation
There are an estimated 40 million Americans with arthritis, affecting 1 out of every 7 individuals. Prevalence varies significantly depending upon the type of arthritis. For example, rheumatoid arthritis affects 2.1 million individuals while psoriatic arthritis affects 160,000. Women are affected by arthritis more than men; nearly 23 million women of all ages have arthritis. Arthritis is the number one cause of disability in America.
We have compiled a non-inclusive list of limitations that result in common accommodation situations. In addition, you can find more information at JAN's A to Z Web page at: http://askjan.org/media/atoz.htm.
- Individual has difficulty with activities of daily living.
- Individual has difficulty dealing with stress.
- Individual is sensitive to extreme temperatures.
- Individual has gross motor limitations.
- Individual experiences fatigue and weakness.
- Individual needs medical treatment allowances.
- Individual has fine motor limitations.