Step 4: Choose the Accommodation
Respiratory Difficulties Due to Fragrances
It may be possible to accommodate a person who is sensitive to fragrances through a number of methods:
- Modify or create a workplace policy to reduce or eliminate the use of fragranced products in the work environment.
- Modify communication methods with coworkers to reduce face to face contact through telephone or electronic communication options such as E-mail or instant messaging (IM).
- Provide an air purification system or personal air supply that is suited to the space and irritants that need to be addressed..
- Modify the employee's work schedule to allow the employee to work when fewer people are in the facility.
- Modify the employee's workstation arrangement to minimize or eliminate exposure to fragrances or provide an enclosed office space. Allow the individual to work from home.
- Discontinue the use of fragranced cleaning chemicals in favor of alternative cleaning products.
- Maintain good indoor air quality by following practices such as those offered by the EPA. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides suggestions for improving indoor air quality in the article, An Office Building Occupant's Guide to Indoor Air Quality.