The JAN Multimedia Training Microsite provides training resources for JAN's users. These materials may be used in group training or by individuals. They may easily be incorporated into larger training events. Some resources are for general audiences, some are quite specific. Also incorporate archived JAN Webcasts into to your training curriculum.
- Want to learn more about workplace solutions for individuals with disabilities? The Job Accommodation Network (JAN), funded by a contract with the Office of Disability Employment Policy, is the national resource that can provide you with confidential, expert, and accurate technical assistance about job accommodations and employment laws like the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Rehabilitation Act. Employers, individuals, service providers, and others can use JAN at no cost! Learn more about how JAN can help you increase the productivity of your workplace using low-cost, practical solutions to accommodation situations in this four minute outreach video. View.
- View YouTube Video. Length: 4 minutes.
Here, on the Solution Showcase Playlist, you can learn more about how various solutions can be implemented as effective job accommodations:
- Solution Showcase: Color Coding
- Solution Showcase: Adjustable Workstations
- Solution Showcase: Ergonomic Chairs
- Solution Showcase: Hearing Aids
- Solution Showcase: Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART)
- Solution Showcase: Windows Accessibility
- Solution Showcase: iPad Accessibility
- Solution Showcase: Alternative Mice
- Solution Showcase: Smartpens
- Solution Showcase: Speech Recognition
- Solution Showcase: Telephone Amplification
JAN would like to thank the Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology for assisting with the development of these videos.
- This 12 minute training module and accompanying transcript and handout provides an overview of the Job Accommodation Network (JAN), a free, confidential service of the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP). Learn more about who JAN is, the history of JAN, how customers reach JAN, how JAN handles questions, and what day-to-day topics JAN handles. View.
JAN's Understanding and Applying the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act and Its Regulations
- The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 significantly broadened the definition of disability, leaving many employers unsure of how to determine whether an employee has a disability. This 43 minute training module and accompanying transcript and handout provides an overview of the changes made to the definition of disability, a summary of the guidance provided by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's regulations, and practical ideas for applying the new definition in the workplace. This module can be used to train hiring managers, HR, and supervisors and managers. Individuals can view the module at their computer or employers can use the module as part of a larger training. View.
- With the passage of the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, employers have moved past the definition of disability and on to providing accommodations. The key to successful accommodations is having an effective interactive accommodation process. This 23 minute training module and accompanying transcript and handout provides a sample step-by-step process that employers can use in their own workplaces to help them successfully accommodate applicants or employees. This module can be used to train new accommodation specialists, disability managers, and others responsible for initiating and maneuvering through the accommodation landscape. Trainees can view the module at their computer or use the module as part of a larger training. View.
- JAN recently developed a training module about service animals in the workplace, featuring tips for conducting the interactive process when an employee asks to bring a service or emotional support animal to work as an accommodation. This 10 minute module is free and can be viewed at your convenience. Use it in your training along with the information and resources on JAN’s service animal page. View.
- This 11 minute training module and accompanying transcript provides a brief overview of the value proposition for hiring, retaining, and marketing to people with disabilities. View.
- View Value Proposition for Engaging People with Disabilities Module. Length: 11 minutes.
- Download accessible transcript.
- This 27 minute training module and accompanying transcript provides technical assistance on how to increase your comfort, confidence, and competence through disability awareness. View.
- View Disability Awareness to Increase Your Comfort, Confidence, and Competence. Length: 27 minutes.
- Download accessible transcript.
- Assistive technology enables individuals with disabilities to access devices, equipment, and services so that they can perform job tasks and maintain employment. Employers and employees with disabilities can greatly benefit from exploring the use of assistive technology as an accommodation in the workplace. This 21 minute introductory training module and accompanying transcript will cover the basics of assistive technology, alternative input, products, and resources available for use in the workplace. This module can be used to train new accommodation specialists, disability managers, and others responsible for making accommodation decisions. Trainees can view the module at their computer or use the module as part of a larger training. View.
- View Assistive Technology in the Workplace Module. Length: 21 minutes.
- Download accessible transcript.
- Ergonomics is the process of fitting a job to a particular individual. Implementing appropriate ergonomic principles can help employers satisfy their accommodation obligations under the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA), help employers limit their workers’ compensation costs, and create a safe inclusive workspace. This webcast will explain how ergonomics can be applied in a variety of settings, including manufacturing, healthcare, and office jobs. Various medical conditions that could benefit from an ergonomic assessment or job analysis will also be discussed, and speakers will explore ergonomic products that could constitute a workplace accommodation. View.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and how an individual with PTSD can effectively work with job accommodations is often misunderstood. Employers and employees with disabilities can greatly benefit from exploring successful accommodation ideas and how they benefit the workplace. This 25 minute training module and accompanying transcript will cover information on PTSD, accommodation ideas, and workplace situations and solutions. This module can be used to train new accommodation specialists, disability managers, and others responsible for making accommodation decisions. Trainees can view the module at their computer or use the module as part of a larger training. View.
- This module will be helpful to employers, employees, family members, and others who are interested in technical assistance on the potential impact of a brain injury on an employee’s experience in the workplace. In particular, this module discusses how effective accommodations can be provided to help employees with brain injuries be more successful in the workplace. This training module will educate and promote a better understanding of brain injuries and the impact they have on employment. View.
- Bridging the Gap Across Transition is a training module that will provide you with information on your rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to help you as you attempt to navigate your way from the school system to the world of work, or to post-secondary education or training, otherwise known as the transition process. Topics discussed include self-advocacy, disability disclosure, sufficient medical documentation, and types of accommodations that might be needed. View.