Accommodation Ideas for One Hand Use
Accommodation ideas for individuals with use of one hand:
- Driving: Steering wheel balls and spinner knobs can assist with grasping a steering wheel.
- Working with Tools: Tool balancers, tool holders, and ergonomic/pneumatic tools are useful for individuals who have gripping limitations.
- Lifting Materials, Products, and People: Compact lifting devices, vacuum material handling, and winches are useful for moving materials and products. For transfering and moving people, patient lifts are helpful.
- Entering Information into the Computer: Speech recognition, alternative input devices (e.g., one-handed keyboards, expanded keyboards, miniature keyboards, alternative mice, and switches) are alternatives to using a standard keyboard. One-handed keyboard software is available to convert a "traditional" keyboard that is more conducive to one-handed entry.
- Manipulating Office Equipment: An individual with use of one hand may have difficulty manipulating blinds, accessing a telephone, using a staple remover, and cutting materials. Remote-controlled blinds are alternatives for manipulating blinds, and large button telephones and voice activated databases can assist with telephone access. Page turners and bookholders can help with manipulating paperwork and binders, and writing aids and reachers may eliminate the need for extended periods of grasping. Filing modifications (e.g., file carrousel, electronic filing systems) and properly placed jigs may also be useful.