Accommodation Ideas for Leg Impairments
Individuals with leg impairments may have a variety of limitations.
Accommodation ideas for individuals with leg impairments:
- Accessing Work-Site: An elevator, a stair or wheelchair lift, or a stair assist may be effective. Also, automatic door openers help an individual open doors.
- Reaching Work Areas: Either raising individuals to meet comfortable working heights or lowering materials to comfortable working levels is preferable. Aerial lifts are products that raise workers. Reachers may also be useful in helping individuals grasp objects in high and low positions. For driving, left foot gas pedals are helpful for individuals who with right leg limitations.
- Lifting: Accommodations for lifting limitations vary, depending on the situation. Accommodations may include assistance with lifting, lifting devices, or a transfer to another job that does not require lifting. For additional information on accommodations for lifting, visit SOAR's Accommodations for Back Conditions.
- Accessing a Computer Workstation: Individuals may benefit from ergonomic equipment such as foot rests and ergonomic chairs.
- Difficulty Standing and Walking: A wheelchair or scooter may accommodate these limitations when moving around a workplace. Adjustable industrial and office workstations also help individuals convert workstations to more comfortable heights.
- Activities of Daily Living: Toileting aids, and grab bars assist individuals with performing activities of daily living.
- Commuting to and from Work: Possible solutions include allowing more time for the commute (to allow time for restroom breaks), allowing work at home, and a transfer to office closer to home.