JAN Releases Webcast Archive of Learn More About Accommodations for Executive Functioning (05/17/13).
- Spend an hour taking a look at the mental processes of managing time, making plans, multi-tasking, organizing, strategizing, and paying attention to and remembering details. This Webcast discussed accommodations for individuals who have short-term memory loss due to learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD), brain injuries, intellectual disabilities, and other cognitive impairments. >> View the Executive Functioning Webcast.
JAN Distributes E-News (04/29/13).
- Changing a Supervisor as an Accommodation under the ADA; ADA Issues Related to New Supervisors and Managers; Accessible Live Training Events; Accommodating Employees with Skin Cancer; Are Your Business Cards Accessible?; Hoarding Disorder and the Workplace; JAN Blog Relaunch; JAN Releases New Resources; E-vents; JAN Exhibit and Training Schedule; Subscribe to JAN Newsletter. >> Read E-News.
JAN Releases Webcast Archive of Federal Winter Webcast Series (4/26/13).
- Hiring People with Disabilities in the Federal Government, Interactive Process in the Federal Government, and Best Practices in the Employment of People with Disabilities in the Federal Government. Find practical solutions with JAN's 2013 Federal Employer Winter Webcast Series. JAN provided three free 1.5 hour Webcast sessions in 2013. The three part series covered medical inquiries in Federal sector hiring and employment, reasonable accommodation, and best practices. JAN welcomed guest speakers from the Environmental Protection Agency and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and one session will be provided from its highly trained Principal Consultants. Audience members included Federal disability program managers, hiring managers, supervisors, EEO representatives, selective placement coordinators, and others involved in hiring and managing workers in the Federal government. >> View Federal Series.
JAN Re-Launches Interactive Ask JAN Blog (04/02/13).
- The JAN Blog is a new opportunity for you to share with others your workplace accommodation solutions. JAN receives over 45,000 contacts per year – conversations with all of you that help us better understand what’s working effectively in your workplaces. We have a great deal to learn from one another. We encourage you to share your experiences and interact with the JAN staff. Your accommodation success stories can benefit many others around the nation. >> Find Out More on the Ask JAN Blog.
JAN Releases Accommodation and Compliance Series Publication - Return-to-Work Programs (03/19/13).
- This publication provides information about return-to-work programs, the ADA, and situations and solutions. >> Read the Return-to-Work Programs Document.
JAN Releases Webcast Archive of Workplace Accommodations for Employees who Use Mobility Devices (03/15/13).
- In this Webcast, JAN presenters gave an overview of how to accommodate individuals who use mobility devices, including accommodations for accessing the work site and work space; moving, carrying, and lifting items; maintaining balance; driving; and sitting, standing, and walking for long periods. Accommodation examples, available assistive technologies, and other products and equipment were discussed. >> View the Mobility Devices Webcast.
Join the March 28, 2013, #JANChat: Real-Life Accommodations (03/15/13).
- JAN will review workplace accommodation examples for employees with all types of disabilities. What are examples of successful accommodations? What are the right tools to bridge the gap between an employee's needs and their opportunities? Ask questions to help you expand your resources when solving job accommodation situations. JAN will share real-life situations and solutions, and invites you to come and share yours! On March 28 at 12 p.m. eastern, join JAN to discuss these questions and more on Twitter. You are cordially invited to participate in our first #JANChat Twitter Chat! Topic: Real-Life Accommodations; Hashtag: #JANChat Date: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 12:00 p.m. eastern; Instructions: Sign in to Twitter and follow us @JANatJAN and participate by using hashtag #JANChat in your posts. >> Become a JAN Follower!
JAN Releases Webcast Archives of First Two 2013 Federally Focused Webcasts (02/07/13).
- Medical Inquiry in Federal Sector Hiring and Employment: This Webcast covered the Rehabilitation Act rules related to medical inquiries during all stages of employment, including recruiting, job applications and interviews, post-offer, and on the job. The presentation covered medical inquiry rules related to Schedule A, affirmative action, and accommodation requests as well as how to handle voluntary disclosures from applicants and employees. The presentation was followed by a question and answer period. >> View the Medical Inquiry Webcast.
- Reasonable Accommodation: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide: This Webcast provided an in-depth look at a step-by-step guide used to process every request for reasonable accommodation. Many of the steps are quick and easy but must be considered with each request. In most instances when there is a breakdown in the accommodation process it is because either the management official or the employee has skipped a step. Learn all of the steps and why each is so important as well as what the tracking requirements of EEOC include. View the Step-by-Step Webcast.
JAN Distributes E-News (02/06/13).
- JAN Goes to Guam, "Where America's Day Begins!"; Accommodating Pregnancy in the Workplace; Annual Requests for Medical Documentation and Long-Term Accommodations; The DSM-V and the New Category of Autism Spectrum Disorder; Harnessing the Accessibility Features of Mobile Devices for Use as Reasonable Accommodations; National Wear Red Day; ODEP Launches Media Campaign Encouraging Youth With Disabilities To Pursue Career Goals; JAN Releases New Resources; E-vents; JAN Exhibit and Training Schedule; Subscribe to JAN Newsletter. >> Read E-News.
JAN Releases Webcast Archive of Harnessing the Accessibility Features of Mobile Devices For Use as Reasonable Accommodations (12/17/12).
- In this Webcast, JAN Consultants discussed the accessibility features of popular types of mobile technology and discussed how to incorporate mobile devices, accessories, and applications into an accommodation plan. More and more workplaces are relying on smartphones and tablets to optimize employee productivity. Join JAN to learn how these devices can also be used as assistive technology to accommodate individuals with sensory, motor, and cognitive impairments. >> View the Mobile Devices Webcast.
JAN Distributes E-News (10/26/12).
- Looking Back, Moving Forward; ADA Rebirth; Changes in Service Animal Inquiries; One-Stop Centers and Accommodations; Changes in Accommodations for Employees Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing: Part One - Communication Devices; Changes in Accommodations for Employees Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing: Part Two - Telephone Access; A Strong Workforce is an Inclusive Workforce: What Can YOU Do?; JAN Releases New Resources; E-vents; JAN Exhibit and Training Schedule; Subscribe to JAN Newsletter. >> Read E-News.
JAN Announces Free Monthly and Federal Webcast Series (10/22/12).
- The JAN Monthly Webast Series will focus on accommodation solutions and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). With guest speakers peppered throughout the year, JAN experts will present 1 hour trainings on accommodations for veterans, executive functioning, and those who use mobility devices; mobile devices as accommodations; current events in accommodation; self-employment strategies; and the employment provisions of the ADA. >> Register for JAN's 2012/2013 Monthly Webcast Series.
- JAN is also continuing its Federal Winter Webcast Series in 2013. JAN will provide three free 1.5 hour Webcast sessions in 2013 (January, February, and March) for Federal entities. The three part series will cover medical inquiries in Federal sector hiring and employment, reasonable accommodation, and best practices. JAN will welcome guest speakers from the Environmental Protection Agency and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and one session will be provided from its highly trained Principal Consultants. >> Register for JAN's 2013 Federal Winter Webcast Series.
JAN Releases Webcast Archive of ADA Update (10/09/12).
- Join the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and JAN as representatives provided participants with the latest developments in the application of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in the workplace, some practical tips for compliance, and answers to tough ADA questions. >> View the ADA Webcast.
JAN Publishes Consultants' Corner (09/27/12).
- Find technical assistance on "Accommodations Related to Commuting To and From Work." >> Read JAN's Consultants' Corner, Volume 08, Issue 01.
JAN Publishes Third Installment of JAN's Just-In-Time Module Series Released (09/12/12).
- JAN announces the third in a series of fully-accessible training modules. The third just-in-time module is titled "All About JAN." This 12 minute training module and accompanying transcript and handout provides an overview of the Job Accommodation Network (JAN), a free, confidential service of the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP). Learn more about who JAN is, the history of JAN, how customers reach JAN, how JAN handles questions, and what day-to-day topics JAN handles. >> The Module and supporting documents can be found in JAN's Multimedia Training Library.
JAN Releases Accommodation and Compliance Series Publication - Workplace Accommodations: Low Cost, High Impact (09/01/12).
- This publication provides annually updated research findings from JAN and address the costs and benefits of job accommodations. Employers in the JAN study reported that a high percentage (57%) of accommodations cost absolutely nothing to make, while the rest typically cost only $500. Data remain consistent with no significant differences. >> Read the Low Cost, High Impact Document.
JAN Distributes E-News (08/07/12).
- ADA or ADAAA, You Say "Potato," I Say "Patato;" HIV/AIDS and Employment; Back to School; A Look at Job Accommodations for the Court System; August is National Breastfeeding Month; National Disability Employment Awareness Month 2012 - A Strong Workforce is an Inclusive Workforce: What Can YOU Do?; Share the Campaign for Disability Employment's (CDE) "What can YOU do?" Video Contest Winning Videos; JAN Releases New Resources; E-vents; JAN Exhibit and Training Schedule; Subscribe to JAN Newsletter. >> Read E-News.
JAN Releases "Pay It Forward" Document on the ADA's 22nd Anniversary (7/26/12).
- Want let someone know about the basics of the ADA? Send this document as an overview and "Pay It Forward" for the ADA's 22nd anniversary. It's easy and quick! >> View The Americans with Disabilities Act: A Brief Overview.
JAN Releases Webcast Archive of Self-Employment Strategies for Persons with Disabilities (6/18/12).
- In this interactive session, speakers explored with attendees the importance of remapping the way we think about integrated employment strategies for people with disabilities (with a particular focus on self-employment) within a broader economic development framework. Presenters discussed these issues from both local and national perspectives. >> View Self-Employment Strategies Webcast.
JAN Releases Webcast Archive of Providing Reasonable Accommodations to Employees with Mental Health Impairments (5/22/12).
- Major depression, bipolar disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder are some of the mental health impairments that affect millions of working Americans. Working with these impairments can present some unique employment challenges, but those challenges are often solvable. JAN Principal Consultants discussed the legal issues involved and provided ideas for effective accommodations. >> View Webcast.
JAN Releases Accommodation and Compliance Series: Employees with Alzheimer's Disease (05/18/12).
- On January 4, 2011, President Barack Obama signed into law the National Alzheimer's Project Act (NAPA), requiring the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to establish the National Alzheimer's Project. The Obama administration previously announced an historic $156 million commitment to address Alzheimer's disease. In support of NAPA, JAN is providing new information on working with Alzheimer's disease. >> Read more on Accommodation Ideas for Alzheimer's Disease.
JAN Publishes Manufacturing Document (05/18/12).
- Find accommodation examples in JAN's Accommodating Employees in Manufacturing Settings. >> Read Document.
JAN Distributes E-News (04/30/12).
- Incorporate Reasonable Accommodation Practices into your Onboarding Process; Accommodating the Communication Needs of Deaf-Blind Employees; Sitting Posture on the Job; Interview Tips for New Grads with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD); Accessible Computer Workstations: A Snapshot; Resources for Veteran-Owned Businesses; June is National Myasthenia Gravis Awareness Month; JAN's Provides Written Senate Testimony Before the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP); JAN Releases New Resources; E-vents; JAN Exhibit and Training Schedule; Subscribe to JAN Newsletter. >> Read E-News.
JAN Releases Webcast Archive of Understanding and Accommodating Mobility Impairments in the Workplace (4/18/12).
- Understanding and Accommodating Mobility Impairments in the Workplace. The presenters gave an overview of how to accommodate individuals with mobility impairments, including accommodations for accessing the work site and work space; moving, carrying, and lifting items; maintaining balance; driving; and sitting, standing, and walking for long periods. Accommodation examples, available assistive technologies, and other products and equipment were discussed. >> View Best Practices Webcast.
JAN Releases Effective Accommodation Practice (EAP) Series Document: Tourette Syndrome (TS) (3/30/12).
- Download this publication to get technical assistance on how to accommodate individuals with Tourette syndrome. >> Download this JAN EAP on TS now.
JAN Releases Webcast Archive of Best Practices: Dow Chemical (3/15/12).
- Best Practices: Dow Chemical. Ivonne Mosquera-Schmidt has a background in finance. After completing Dow Chemical's Finance and Leadership Development Program, she had the opportunity to be mentored into her current position that of Project Manager for Dow Chemical's Information Systems/Project & Support Center. Blindness has not been a major hurdle for Ivonne in entering her chosen field nor in her advancement to the Project Manager level. During the interview style webcast, Ivonne talked through her workplace experience encompassing being recruited, hired, and promoted at one of the U.S.'s major global companies. Ivonne offered some best practices to follow when hiring talent with disabilities and educated us about some of the workplace changes that have enabled her to be more productive. And finally, she offered effective policies and practices offered by Dow Chemical. >> View Best Practices Webcast.
JAN Releases Effective Accommodation Practice (EAP) Series Document: Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) (2/29/12).
- Download this publication to get technical assistance on how to accommodate individuals with FAS. >> Download this JAN EAP on FAS now.
JAN Posts Podcast and Teleconference (2/27/12).
- Assistive Technology Update - Job Accommodation Network (Beth Loy), Braille Smartphone interface, A Car For The Blind, Accessible Event, Apple OSX Mountain Lion Accessibility. >> Access now.
- National MS Society - Practical Guidance for Medical Professionals: How to Write an Effective Support Letter for a Reasonable Accommodation. >> Access now.
JAN Releases Webcast Archives of Current Events in Accommodation and Accommodating Individuals with Limited Dexterity - Common Workplace Situations and Solutions (2/16/12).
- Current Events in Accommodation. Tune in and stay up-to-date on current events in job accommodation, including tough accommodation situations, tricky ADA issues, and technology challenges. JAN consultants provided practical tips for handling these and other job accommodation issues. >> View Current Events Webcast.
- Accommodation and Accommodating Individuals with Limited Dexterity - Common Workplace Situations and Solutions. Determining accommodations for individuals with limited dexterity can be a challenge but understanding limitations, reasonable accommodation and assistive technology options, and other resources can make the process a successful one. Providing necessary accommodations can increase productivity, attendance, job retention, and workplace safety. This Webcast will highlight accommodations from apps to alternative keyboards that are often an essential part of accommodating job tasks for individuals with limited dexterity. >> View Limited Dexterity Webcast.
Second Installment of JAN's Just-In-Time Module Series Released (02/02/12).
- JAN announces the second in a series of fully-accessible training modules. The second just-in-time module is titled "Understanding and Applying the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Amendments Act and Its Regulations." The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 significantly broadened the definition of disability, leaving many employers unsure of how to determine whether an employee has a disability. This 43 minute training module and accompanying transcript and handout provides an overview of the changes made to the definition of disability, a summary of the guidance provided by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's regulations, and practical ideas for applying the new definition in the workplace. This module can be used to train hiring managers, HR, and supervisors and managers. Individuals can view the module at their computer or employers can use the module as part of a larger training. Watch for the next just-in-time "Using JAN" Module coming soon! >> The Module and supporting documents can be found in JAN's Multimedia Training Library.
JAN Distributes E-News (01/27/12).
- Return to Work: A Snapshot, When the Party's Over . . ., Many Stand While Working, When the Holiday Letdown Hits, Making Your Sleigh Ergonomic, Scents of the Seasons: Holiday Smells and Workplace Issues, February is Heart Month, 2012 New Year Beginnings: Just-In-Time Training Module Series and Effective Accommodation Practices Series (EAPS), JAN Releases New Resources, E-vents, JAN Exhibit and Training Schedule, Subscribe to JAN Newsletter. >> Read E-News.
JAN's Just-In-Time Module Series Released (01/11/12).
- JAN announces the first in a series of fully-accessible training modules. The first just-in-time module features "JAN's Interactive Process." With the passage of the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, employers have moved past the definition of disability and on to providing accommodations. The key to successful accommodations is having an effective interactive accommodation process. This 23 minute training module and accompanying transcript and handout provides a sample step-by-step process that employers can use in their own workplaces to help them successfully accommodate applicants or employees. This module can be used to train new accommodation specialists, disability managers, and others responsible for initiating and maneuvering through the accommodation landscape. Trainees can view the module at their computer or use the module as part of a larger training. Watch for the next just-in-time "ADA Amendments Act" Module coming soon! >> The Module and supporting documents can be found in JAN's Multimedia Training Library.