This publication summarizes funding search tips and describes some of the most frequent types of organizations and groups that provide funding. If you need further assistance, please contact JAN directly.
For information on specific agencies and organizations, please look in your local area phone directory, specifically in the Blue Pages, for government contacts and the Yellow Pages for other organizations.
Funding Tips for Employers:
Tax incentives are available to employers of individuals with disabilities. These tax incentives help cover the cost of accommodations for employees and equipment to make businesses accessible. Tax incentives available are the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC), the Disabled Access Credit (DAC), and the Architectural and Transportation Barrier Removal Deduction. Additional information about tax incentives can be found at: http://askjan.org/media/tax.html or by contacting JAN directly. For more information on these tax credit programs, contact a local Internal Revenue Service (IRS) office and visit the IRS on the Web at: http://www.irs.gov.
Funding Tips for Individuals:
Funding sources, such as grants and scholarships, for higher education are available to assist individuals with disabilities. For a list of funding contacts for educational resources contact JAN via phone or e-mail or visit the JAN Website at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?291.
Another source of funding is Vocational Rehabilitation (VR). VR provides a wealth of resources related to employment options for people with disabilities. VR, a state-supported division of services, assists individuals with disabilities who are pursuing meaningful careers. VR assists those individuals to secure gainful employment commensurate with their abilities and capabilities through local job searches and awareness of self-employment and telecommuting opportunities. To contact your nearest VR office, please see http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?902 or call JAN to obtain contact information.
Many of the funding inquiries that JAN receives deal with assistive technology. Assistive technology is any item or piece of equipment used to increase, maintain, or improve a person's functional capabilities. The cost of some assistive technology can be surprisingly high. Sometimes the best or only way to fund the purchase of assistive technology is by relying on more than one source. Additional funding for assistive technology might include: the U.S. Veterans Administration, the Social Security Administration's PASS (Plan To Achieve Self-Support) program, your state's workers' compensation program if the disability was caused by a work-related injury, non-profit disability organizations, and civic or service organizations (Lions Club, VFW, Rotary Club, etc.). Some individuals also have success working with local service groups, churches, labor unions, or school organizations to stage fund-raisers in their communities. When searching for funding, be aware of your rights under the law. Also know your specific technology needs. You may need the help of a professional or a cross-disciplinary team of professionals who can assess your needs, suggest an appropriate device, and clearly describe in writing how that device would be effective. Additional public/private funding sources are also available through various resources. JAN's list of funding resources includes:
- Community Resources at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?285
- Computers at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?288
- Education at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?291
- Food at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?297
- Grants/Loans at askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?300
- Housing at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?303
- Insurance at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?306
- Medical at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?309
- Prosthetics at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?311
- Specific Disability:
- Amputation at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?311
- Cancer at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?312
- Hearing at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?315
- Vision at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?318
- Taxes at http://askjan.org/media/tax.html
- Transportation at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?321
- Miscellaneous at http://askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?324